The BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Business is a course for the level 3 students. It is for the learners who are interested to learn about business sectors and other subjects of study in order to make their desired progress into higher education where they can choose from a wide range of courses. The students who plan on enhancing their professional and subject knowledge to a greater degree before progressing to higher education may find this course very suitable. What makes this course attractive is the range of optional units that students can choose from.
- Total number of units to be covered- 4 (3 mandatory)
- Mandatory content (83%).
- External assessment (58%).
- Total guided learning hours (GLD) to be completed- 360 GLD (480 TQT)
- Equivalent in size to one A Level.
Units to cover:
- Unit 1: Exploring Business (Unit size- 90 GLH; Unit type- Internal) Mandatory
- The purpose, structure and nature of different businesses.
- The affects of external business environment on organisations
- The importance of innovation
- Unit 2: Developing a Marketing Campaign (Unit size- 90 GLH; Unit type- External) Mandatory
- Skills and knowledge on developing successful marketing campaigns
- Unit 3: Personal and Business Finance (Unit size- 120 GLH; Unit type- External) Mandatory
- Importance of personal and business finance
- Purpose of personal and business finance
- To understand, analyse and prepare financial information.
Optional units to choose from (Any 1)
- Unit 8: Recruitment and Selection Process (Unit size- 60 GLH; Unit type- Internal)
- Basic understanding of recruitment process in business organisations
- Participation in selection interviews to review own performance
- Unit 14: Investigating Customer Service (Unit size- 60 GLH; Unit type- Internal)
- Importance of good customer service as the means for business success
- Ways to develop customer service skills
- Unit 22: Market Research (Unit size- 60 GLH; Unit type- Internal)
- Market research for business purposes.
- Undertaking research project, interpreting the findings and producing research report
- Unit 23: The English Legal System (Unit size- 60 GLH; Unit type- Internal)
- Knowledge of how the English legal system operates to resolve civil and criminal cases,
- Need for legal advice and representation for individual and business purposes
- Unit 27: Work Experience in Business (Unit size- 60 GLH; Unit type- Internal)
- Benefits of work experience
- Reflection on work experience
- No formal entry requirements
- Learners with Level 2 (or equivalent) qualifications are expected
Criteria for better likelihood to succeed
- Five GCSEs at good grades
- BTEC qualifications at Level 2
- Achievement in mathematics and English through Functional or GCSE Skills
- Evidence of having relevant work experience
- Demonstration of specific aptitude shown through non-educational experiences or diagnostic tests.
How to apply
- Via UCAS (You will be needing relevant codes, such as campus code, UCAS course code and institute code) to apply through UCAS)
- Direct online application (Please click on the link for direct online application)
* The information presented on this page is valid for academic year 2020/21. The courses will run as advertised unless the curriculum is changed due to student demands, certain industry or academic developments, or compliance reasons